Saturday, October 13, 2012

Crane's Thing #8

Well, this is my introduction to mashups!  I decided to start out simple and try one of the mashups listed in the APSU 23 Things.  I figure it was like trying to walk before running.  So, below is my use of the Spell with Flickr mashup.  This mashup was very easy to use, and I especially liked that you could click on a letter image you didn't care for until one came up to your liking.


  letter H i35 Stencil Letter S T Scrabble Trickster Letter O r60 letter Y

  I also looked in the Flickr App Garden and found an interesting app called where, what, when.  It shows a google map of the earth with areas highlighted where Flickr photos have been tagged.  You can click on a geographic are (like Japan) and several images from that area will appear.  You can have recent Flickr addtions appear or "interesting" Flickr photos.  The link to this site is below.

http://whatwherewhen.jgate.de/

I think Flickr is an easier way to share photos online.  I think it is an interesting way of connecting with people from other cultures by communicating through images.  In a classroom, you could use the where, what, when flickr app to look up images from a geographic area being studied for a Geography class.  Other mapping mashups would let you use your own tagged photos to superimpose on a google map.  This could be use to track and share a vacation or a school trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment