Thursday, October 18, 2012

Crane's Thing #10

I always wondered what that orange icon was on all of the websites I frequently visited.  Well now I am officially on Google Reader!  The main thing I like about RSS is that it saves my valueable time!  Instead of searching at each site individually, Reader is doing all of the work for me.  I have initially signed up for:
  • 2 cents worth
  • dangerously irrelevant
  • The History Blog
  • Free Technology for Teachers
  • Miami Dolphins Blog
I think I can use this technology in both my school and personal life by not only saving precious time, but making sure I do get updates of sites that I may not check regularly or the author does not post as regularly.  As a teacher, going to the reader to quickly view sites related to your subject will be very beneficial.  For example, the History Blog sent me a story about perfectly preserved coins from the 4th century that were recently found in England.  This is interesting to me as a history teacher, and its a story I may not have found on my own through traditional news sites.  I could even incoporate a story like this into a lesson to reach a level of academic relevance to my students.  And the last subscription allows me to have a little bit of fun (a guy has got to keep up with his team)!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment